By Lindsay Williams
Dove Award-winning collective Soulfire Revolution is the worship band for churches in Miami and Bogota, Columbia. The group is releasing a brand-new project this week called Afterglow on Dream Records, and lead singer Lorena Castellanos sat down with us to discuss the new record, post-show rituals and the band’s South American traditions.
1. If you only had one meal left on earth, what would it be?
Argentinian steak; we are definitely meat lovers.
2. What’s your favorite South American dish to cook?
3. What three words best describe your band?
passion, dedication, Spirit-filled
4. What overarching message do you hope listeners take away from your new album?
The album is called Afterglow, which is based on Acts 1:8 (“We will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us.”), so basically we are God’s afterglow; we are the reflection of His love. We would love for listeners to be filled with God’s love and power as they listen to these songs.
5. Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
We grew up listening to Delirious, and they were basically pioneers in worship music; and obviously now, musically, Coldplay was a big influence.
6. What is your favorite post-show ritual?
We usually go to the green room and rest for a little bit and get something light to eat.
7. What artist would you consider your “dream collaboration” (spanning any genre)?
Well, on our previous album, God surprised us and we were able to feature TobyMac, Kim Walker and Martin Smith.
8. What is your favorite South American tradition?
As Latins we are very loud, welcoming people—and also very hospitable—so we love to do that wherever we are.
9. What’s the one song you currently have on repeat?
We really like “Walk On Water” from Family Force 5.
10. What’s your favorite lyric from your new album?
For me personally it’s “Just one touch I’ll be healed/ Just one touch I’ll be free.” This is what happens when we experience God’s presence. There’s no sickness He can’t heal.
11. What’s one country where you’d like to perform where you haven’t booked a concert yet?
We’ve never been to Australia. We would love to go there.
For more info, visit www.soulfirerevolution.com.